Field Trips to Farm Wisconsin Discovery Center are a great to teach your students about Wisconsin agriculture. Adding a STEM lab to your field trip visit is a fantastic way for your students to gain some hands-on experience with agriculture. Farm Wisconsin offers two different levels of STEM labs; beginner and advanced.
Beginner STEM labs are best for younger students. These offerings have more basic ideas, better relating to what students may be learning in the classroom at an elementary age. The price for a beginner STEM lab is $1 per student.
- Egg-ceptional Poultry: Begin with observation of the egg’s exterior. Then crack open the egg and hunt for the egg’s yolk, albumin, inner and outer membranes. Discover how an egg is perfectly designed to support the growth of a baby chick and why eggs are a great addition to a daily diet. End by creating your own egg drop. Do you think your egg could withstand the fall?
- Strawberry DNA Extraction: Deoxyribonucleic acid – what is it, and can it be found in a strawberry? We’ll answer these questions, and then dive in with both hands! Learn how to extract DNA from one of Wisconsin’s most delicious fruits, and then make observations about this molecule essential to life itself.
- Craving Cranberries: Wisconsin’s state fruit, the cranberry, is famously known for its ability to float in water – but what allows a cranberry to float? Explore the unique properties of a cranberry and the methods used for harvesting and sorting fruit in Wisconsin bogs during this STEM lab. This STEM lab is a seasonal favorite as it is only available in the fall and winter.
Advanced STEM Labs suit our older students a bit better. These STEM labs go a bit more in depth about specific areas relating to animal nutrition, genetics, and husbandry. The price for advance STEM labs is $5 per student.
- Feeding the Modern Dairy Cow: An ideal STEM lab for students studying animal science, this lab discusses the connection between proper nutrition and milk quality, cow health, and the success of a dairy farm. Students will jump into the shoes of a dairy cattle nutritionist as they identify various feedstuffs used in dairy cattle diets across the state. Afterwards, they will work in teams to evaluate a total mixed ration for particle length and cow digestibility.
- Caring for Calves: From the moment they are born, dairy calves require specialized care. Students will learn hands-on in this STEM lab about the proper protocols necessary to care for calves and how to recognize instances when the herd’s smallest members need increased attention. They will use a weight tape to determine a calf’s specific weight and then work through mathematical problems to calculate average daily weight gain.
- Do’s and Don’ts of Labor and Delivery: Dive into the world of dairy cattle labor and delivery in this one-of-a-kind STEM lab. Students will learn about the three stages of dairy cattle labor and how to recognize when a cow is in each. The lab is highlighted with an opportunity to simulate the birthing process and work through potential challenges that may occur in real life.
You can add up to two of these interactive experiences to your visit. Beginner STEM labs are $1 per student. Advanced STEM labs are $5 per student. Selections for STEM labs can be made when filling out the Field Trip Reservation form. Already have a field trip booked? Contact us to add a STEM lab to your visit.